We have been informing the National European Dermatology Societies, Ordine dei medici e FNOMCEO regarding new positions for Dermatology Specialists in England.
The salary for these posts is £74000 - £101000 per year and the hours are 37½ hours per week. The On-Calls (guardie) are, of course, paid extra.
The Dermatology service is expanding to meet the needs of the population which includes a higher proportion of elderly adults than the national average. The area has a high incidence of skin malignancies, the majority of which are managed in the trust on an outpatient basis. There are close links with the nearby hospitals which provide tertiary referral service for advanced surgery and radiotherapy.
Ambulatory and inpatient care of patients with chronic inflammatory skin disease is also available to patients. Specialist dermatology services such as patch testing, phototherapy and day care nursing services are provided in nearby but it is hoped to develop some of these services locally in the near future. Dermatology clinics are held in the general outpatient department situated on the ground floor. There is a dedicated skin surgery operating room and a small library of up to date Dermatology texts. A digital camera and printer are provided along with the expected diagnostic equipment.
- Provision of outpatient clinics, accepting referrals from primary care and from hospital colleagues.
- Undertaking appropriate skin surgery
- Assisting consultant colleagues from other disciplines by providing diagnostic and treatment advice for inpatients who have skin disorders which may be playing a part in their current illness.
- Giving telephone advice on urgent cases to primary care colleagues during normal working hours...
- Attending and contributing patients to the weekly combined clinic in the nearby University hospital
- Attending weekly multidisciplinary team meeting for skin cancer.
Management and general duties
- You will have a continuing responsibility for the care of the patients in youir charge and for the proper functioning of the department and to be able to be contacted when necessary.
- Professional supervision and management of junior medical staff. If appropriate you will be named as Educational supervisor to a specific member to oversee their training and as an initial source of advice to such doctor regarding their career.
- Participating in teaching of junior doctors.
- Responsibility for undertaking the administrative duties associated with the care of patients and the administration for the department.
- Travel as necessary between hospitals / clinics will be required.
|Monday||Outpatient clinic||Skin surgery|
|Tuesday||Outpatient clinic||MDT for skin cancer; Additional clinic duties and SPA eg ward consults and clinical admin|
|Wednesday||Special interest outpatient clinic||SPA (1 PA)|
|Thursday||Outpatient Clinic||Combined clinic plus CPD or histology meeting|
|Friday||Outpatient clinic||SPA and additional clinical duties eg ward consults and clinical admin|
Skype interviews with the Head Specialist (Consultant) will be held in August. If this goes well then they may offer a definite job offer or invite the doctor to meet the team and see the hospital. Before the interview I will send them a lot of information so that they are well prepared.
Please feel free to ask any questions at any time: contact information is in the attached pdf.